Thursday, March 24, 2011

Day 42: First Teacher Workshop Day Where We Weren't Doing Accreditation

Agenda-
Civil Rights Presentation
Lunch
Budget Discussion
Writing Across the Disciplines Presentation

is a teacher workshop day. Almost all of the teachers from the district were at our school today. The first thing we had to attend was a presentation about civil rights. This was the same presentation that I saw on Monday. Yay! Repeats. Except this time only the assistant district attorney gave the presentation. I have to say that it was a little more boring this time around. I knew all of the answers and this guy isn’t as funny as his cohort. I spent the time drafting essential reading questions for the seniors over Aurora Leigh, doodling, and making lists of things. I don’t know why I write lists. I hate them because I always feel like I don’t finish them. Anyway, after the presentation was over we had lunch and I helped Meg and Deb put together some packets for their presentation, Writing Across the Disciplines. We decided Meg was Batman, Deb was Robin and I was Batgirl. It was kind of hilarious. Then I went and listened to Dr. Tom, the superintendent of RSU 10 talk about the budget for the coming year. It isn’t looking good right now. They are looking to retain the teachers they have and if teachers retire they are looking to not fill those positions. Things were feeling a little bleak for me in terms of getting a job after I graduate. I imagine that many schools are in the same boat. The conversation was disheartening and boring. I found myself trying to stay awake. After that though I saw the Writing Across the Disciplines presentation. It had to be trimmed down because the budget conversation went too long, but it was still good. Meg and Deb did an awesome job. I liked their ideas. Writing is an important part of communicating and it really should be a part of what every teacher does in their classroom.

2 comments:

  1. I was wondering how you were feeling during the budget talk. I know it can be disheartening to hear news like that, but have faith! The right job will open up for you. Besides, young teachers are a lot more affordable than old dinosaurs like me!
    Love, Batman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Batman,

    It's true. I am way less expensive than other more senior teachers. However, I am also more of a risk factor. They say many teachers quit after their first year. They have no way of knowing I will stick around. I can tell them many times over that I am. Doesn't prove it though.

    Love,
    Batgirl

    ReplyDelete