Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Day 26: Projects and Acting

Agenda-
Class: Pre-AP Sophomore English
Free Period
Class: AP Senior English
Lunch
Free Period (I saw an IEP Meeting)
Homeroom

I was a little disappointed today in my sophomores. They weren’t ready to present my project. One group told me they weren’t ready and I was just going to tell them well tough luck but then after I assigned the blog posts and handed out the release form for me to use their work I asked them to give me a show of hands for who was ready to present. Only one group was ready to go. Another group brought in a cake they had made with a Macbeth quote on it. I guess they had time to make a cake but not to work on their project? I gave them points for the cake anyway for making it for the class, making it related to Macbeth and sharing it with everyone. I made a deal with the class that I would give them until Friday if they would promise me they would be ready to kick butt when they present. I hope this turns out to be the right decision and that they don’t take advantage of me. Then I gave the group that was ready to go today points and gave them the option to present today or next time. They decided to present today so I gave them points for that too. Their presentation turned out to be really good. They did a scavenger hunt in the class. It was very interactive and the idea was for the class to go on a witch hunt while learning about witches in Shakespeare’s time. They did a really good job with it. After the clan finished their presentation I assigned parts from the play. I literally had students jumping out of their seats for parts and fighting over who would be who. They then asked if they could act it out. I told them I would give them more points if they did. So they did. This class was much more involved and paid a lot more attention to the play. I think I am going to make the other class act out Macbeth too. I think it will help keep them enthused and involved. It is at least worth a try. I am also going to go over the blood ranks with the other class and raise the stakes for both classes. The winning clan will also get their lowest quiz grade dropped, one homework pass and if they don’t come to class prepared they will lose points. It may motivate them a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment