Thursday, March 3, 2011

Day 27: Oh Snap

Agenda-
Homeroom
Class: Creative Writing
Class: Pre-AP Sophomore English
Class: AP Senior English
Lunch
Study Hall

Today I had the sophomores present their “oh snap” presentations. The idea was for them to pretend to be thanes in Duncan’s court and make up their reactions to Duncan’s decision to name his son heir to the throne. They did a good job with them. They were all very good at conveying how angry or not so angry they thought the thanes would be. They came up with some really good reasons for the thanes to feel that way. They were amusing and had fun with the assignment. Then after that they finished reading act 1 of Macbeth. This time I made the sign up for parts on the board so there couldn’t be any fighting over parts. I also made them act the play out this time. They were paying a lot more attention this time. They weren’t necessarily as enthused as they have been doing other activities but they were certainly paying more attention. And the energy in the room was better. I am going to have to keep thinking about what I can do to keep them involved though. I also decided to up the stakes a little on the competition. I told them that they will not only get cake for a prize but they will also get a homework pass and their lowest quiz grade dropped. Then I told them that there was a new rule though. Come to class prepared or lose points. I can’t wait to see how it turns out. When I announced the new prizes the clan I was worried about not being in it to win it anymore immediately decided they wanted to win. After reading the class did another challenge and that clan got 285 points and beat everyone. They are currently in 3rd place but close to being second.

No comments:

Post a Comment