Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Day 20: OMG That's Better!

Agenda-
Homeroom
Class: Pre-AP Sophomore English
Free Period
Class: AP Senior English
Prep Period

Today I tried the lesson where I get the Sophomores started with the blogs and the Blood War challenge again with some improvements. First I rearranged the desks so they would make table groups and so they would be spread far apart from each other. Then I wrote students’ names on slips of paper and taped the paper to the desks. When they came into the room I told them to find their names on the desks. Then I gave 5 points to the table group to be seated with all of their members first. Next, I got them set up with their blogs using the projector and my laptop so they could follow along. Then I gave them out the rules for the Blood War, went over the rules and told them about their prize if they are the winners at the end of the unit. Then I got them started on their tasks. This group was completely different from yesterday. They gave me no attitude. They made jokes about fraternizing with the enemy because I made interactions with other clans against the rules. They all worked really well together on their names and on their flags. They came up with some amazing ideas. I think now that this class is doing so well I really need to take this and get the other class back on track. Otherwise the groups in the other class are going to be miserable for the rest of the year. I am going to have them seated in the table groups tomorrow and hand out the rules and go over them like I did today. Then so they can practice working together and feel out the new rules of the game I am going to give them a challenge to do. Hopefully the clans will bond over the challenge rather than get even more disjointed. I think that the group with Garrett will figure out very quickly that he is a major asset in this challenge. Same for the clan with Mariah, Brooke, Adam and Jeremy. I think Mariah and Jeremy will be able to show off their English skills proving to Brooke that they are assets. We shall see tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment