Thursday, February 10, 2011

Day 17: The 32Second Macbeth

Agenda-
Homeroom
Class: Creative Writing
Class: Pre-AP Sophomore English
Class: AP Senior English
Study Hall

Today I started the unit on Macbeth with the Sophomores. It went really well! First they took a quiz which felt like it took forever. But then after that I split them up into groups to work on creating a KWL chart. Then I put all of their ideas up on pieces of paper on the board. They came up with a pretty good list of things. Then I handed out the 32 second Macbeth. This is where the lesson really took off. I had the class get into two groups. And their goal was to act the play out in 32 seconds or less. They had so much fun! They were laughing and practicing and determined to beat the clock as well as their classmates. They were also doing a really good job figuring out who the characters were and what was going to happen in the play based on the lines. They knew someone was going to get murdered. They knew there would be lots of blood. They got that there were witches. I think they did a fairly good job figuring out the plot of the play. Also, I loved the activity because it let me know who the actors and who the directors were in the class. I am now thinking that I will assign them their groups for the final project based on which students were clearly really into it and which ones weren’t. It also broke the ice in terms of reading Old English out loud and acting out what is going on in the play. I loved it and I can’t wait to do it again tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment