Monday, February 7, 2011

Day 14: Flying Solo

Agenda-
Homeroom
Class: Pre-AP Sophomore English
Free time
Class: AP Senior English
Lunch
Prep Period

Today my mentor teacher had a meeting to go to so I was left alone at the end of the day with our seniors. It was awesome! I did a lesson where first they took a virtual tour of the Globe Theatre. Then they competed to see who could answer all of the questions on this quiz over the tour. The first one to finish and have all of the correct answers got a bag of M&M’s. They were pretty stoked to win the candy. Then I had them fill out an Anticipation Guide for Hamlet and we talked about that. The students were great! They are all so smart and they did a great job coming up with examples from history and from books they had read to support their arguments. They had quite a good little debate going on back and forth but they expressed the wish that Heidi had been there. She was at home sick and a lot of my students in the class said they wished she was there to debate even more with them. I think that is what we are going to do on Wednesday when Heidi gets back. I will make the pick a side and then let them debate it using lots of examples. Then I think when we get to the end of Hamlet I will pull out their lovely little work sheet again and have them debate and discuss the same ideas but in light of the play. I have a feeling that many of their opinions will change. Especially about revenge. Many of the students thought that revenge should be planned out. I think though that once they get to the end of Hamlet they will be on the opposite side. Let’s face it, Hamlet draws the whole tortured soul thing out a little too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment