Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Day 15: Round Two

Agenda-
Homeroom
Class: Creative Writing
Class: Pre-AP Sophomore English
Class: AP Senior English
Lunch
Study Hall

I did the same lesson I did yesterday again today with the seniors. Except this time I made everyone sit in a circle while we talked about the Anticipation Guide. I had a much smaller class and I thought the circle would make it easier for me to see everyone. I liked the circle and I think it worked well. However, the students did much less arguing and debating. They were much more wishy washy. They kept saying it depended on the situation. They also came up with different examples They referenced books and TV more where the class before were using more historical references. I think that because this was a class of all girls and their interests were so very different from the other class it was harder to get them to have the same reaction. They often all agreed on their reactions to a statement. That made it hard for me because I wanted them to disagree. It was also a lot easier to sway them. In the end they changed their view on moral courage versus physical courage and on revenge as being a way to get justice. I think that I am going to do this again with them like I will with the other class but I am going to split them up and assign them a side to debate from. I think they need more structure. Plus I think it will be good for them to practice taking a side they don’t necessarily agree with. It is good to have that ability especially when writing persuasive papers. And we most certainly be revisiting the guide at the end of Hamlet. I think that will really help this class a lot.

4 comments:

  1. Making sure that AIM comments still work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My field supervisor requires us to write a reflection everyday on how the day went. It only takes a few minutes to sit down and reflect on a class or lesson and then I just post that on here. It works out great cause this way I can see what I have done every day all at once, it saves the reflections for me so if I ever lose them I know I have copies right on here and it keeps everyone who wants to know how things are going up to date.

    ReplyDelete