Friday, April 29, 2011

Day 62: Big Projects Due

Agenda-
Homeroom
Class: Creative Writing
Class: Pre-AP Sophomore English
Class: AP Senior English
Lunch
Study Hall

Creative writing was wonderful as always. The kids were a little bit wild. It was hard to keep them on the subject at hand but they are always really good at returning to it when asked. We edited the last two quest stories today and then we talked about what we are going to do for our final battle. Lifa’s commander is going to be the big bad guy. It is going to be an awesome story and I am wicked excited to get writing it I can tell that the students are excited too. After we talked about everything in class they had time to start working on the background leading up to everyone meeting in Atlia to take on the bad guy. They were working away at it as usual. And making jokes. We have a lot of fun in that class.

The sophomores got a little time at the beginning of class to put the finishing touches on the scrapbooks before handing them in. Then I asked them to share their favorite pieces. Next, I had them do a little feedback for me. I asked them to write about their strongest piece and why they think it is their strongest, their weakest piece and they think it is their weakest pieces, and then I asked them to write down what they thought of the project. Was it fun? Was it hard? Was it a lot of work? What would you do differently if you did it again? What should I do differently if I do it again? They gave me a lot of grief verbally about the fact that the other class had the weekend to do their project. It is interesting that they are complaining now because when I asked them if class time in exchange for a weekend was fair they said yes. Apparently because I wasn’t there on Wednesday it wasn’t fair. I eventually told them that enough was enough and that we had discussed it and I didn’t want to hear any more about it. They are so very whiny. The biggest loudest complainer was Chandler who in her feedback to me said she procrastinated. So… how would having the weekend have helped?

The seniors were much better about their projects. They took some time to get their stuff together, handed the projects in, listened to their poem, talked about Aurora Leigh, and did test prep without any complaints. They are awesome. I like that I don’t get any whining from them. They were even appreciative of their song as a poem today. They liked watching the music video. I’m looking forward to reading their poetry portfolios. They were a little tired today. I think that though is just because it is Friday, they had a big project due today, and it was a nice day out. They would have rather been outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment