Thursday, April 14, 2011

Day 57: Productive Day

Agenda-
Homeroom
Class: Creative Writing
Class: Pre-AP Sophomore English
Class: AP Senior English
Lunch
Study Hall

The creative writing students did their final edits on their stories today and posted them. Meg and I gave them their assignment for over break. After they finished editing and got everything posted they were allowed to work on their vacation assignments. I am very excited to read all of the stories and to see what the class had to say about our story.

The sophomores whined about having to pick random seats again. I am hoping that after I make them do it a few hundred times they will get over it. We talked about the memorial I am having them create for their Holocaust Victims. I had a talk with Meg over this project and she said they wouldn’t do the assignment unless it was graded. So today I handed out a rubric for it and we went over it. I am really excited for the wall. I can’t wait to see what they come up with to memorialize their victim. I also took more questions on the scrapbook assignment that they will have due on the 29th. I explained to them that I would give them class time to work on it. We discussed Night and I handed out their 3rd piece of their Holocaust Victim Cards. I live handing these out. The students seem to be getting into it. They get excited to learn what is going to happen next. I can tell the suspense is killing some of them. I like this activity. It gives them a direct connection to the Holocaust.

The seniors wanted to talk about Aurora Leigh a lot today. I had let them pick their own question for this assignment. I wasn’t surprised by how many of the girls wanted to discuss the possibility that Aurora may have feelings for Romney or vice versa. They did a good job finding evidence that answered this question. A few people branched out and asked other questions. Lynsey did a comparison of Aurora Leigh to Sold. She did a good job comparing the plot lines and how the characters handled the traumatic events in each story. After our discussion they got out their poems and I worked with them on editing them. They are coming along really well with this. I have no worries for this class on their project.

No comments:

Post a Comment