Thursday, April 28, 2011

Day 61: Procrastinate Much?

Agenda-
Homeroom
Class: Pre-AP Sophomore English
Free Period
Class: AP Senior English
Lunch
Free Period

The sophomores today had even more questions about their scrapbook. I can tell that a lot of them are very stressed about the project. I tried to set their minds at ease by saying that they have already done a lot of it by doing the passage reflections. They still seem to feel that they don’t have a lot of time. Many of the students were showing me and telling me about their genres. They came up with some ideas that I had never even considered. I am very excited to grade their scrapbooks. They are doing word searches, crosswords, charts, poems, pictures, and diary entries. I never thought of any of that. I can’t wait to see how it turns out.

The seniors did not do a lot of work over break. There were a couple additional students who had done the reading and the essential question but not all of them. Many of the students need to make up a lot of work. I should have checked their essential question answers as we went. I didn’t think I would have to if they knew they would be a part of the portfolio at the end. Apparently, that just means they can put it off. Lesson learned. Seniors are not any more mature than sophomores. Next time I will at least check them and give them a grade for doing them. I am happy that most of the students who don’t do the work at least try to contribute to class discussions in some way. Heidi and Hannson always talk, even if they don’t always do the work. Kym and Shane don’t necessarily. They have at least done some of it though. I’m really worried about Hannson. He still hasn’t done anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment