Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Day 60: Looming Deadlines

Agenda-
Homeroom
Class: Pre-AP Sophomore English
Free Period
Class: AP Senior English
Lunch
Free Period

The sophomores were extremely worried about their scrapbooks today. I had a hard time keeping them discussing the book. In the end though, we did have a good discussion on the book and then I gave them their last Victim Cards. They were pretty excited to find out what happened. After the discussion and the cards they were given some time to work on their scrapbooks. They were much more productive today than they were last week. I saw everyone working. They still had a lot of questions on the scrapbook and I answered them as best as I could.

seniors did not do a lot of work over break. There were a couple additional students who had done the reading and the essential question but not all of them. There was more conversation about the book today. I was happy to see that. There was also more conversation about the poetry portfolio. I can tell that with the deadline looming in front of them they are all looking at it a little bit more seriously. I talked to this group more about the Wordsworth excerpt they read. They described it as very long. Someone even said that only a poet could take that long defining poetry. They seemed to have gotten something out of it at least. Cam read something from the packet. What he read was something that I had underlined, but at least he had taken the time to remember it and think that it was something he wanted to talk about in class. I think that this class at least will have quite a bit of success in a college English class. They seem able to talk about literature even if half of what they say is bs. Sometimes you need to be able to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment